Pennsylvania Traffic Unit Requirements

One of the things that NIMS has done is to make us more aware of what differences we have across the state.  Calling for a Tanker in one County may give you 500 gallons of water, while the next County the minimum size is 2500 gallons. 

NIMS provided standardization, on a national basis.  Of course, there are no National Standards on Traffic Units, as Fire Police are not nationwide...

Therefore, we took it upon ourselves to reach out to several Counties and find the common denominator as to what should constitute a Traffic Unit.  So, if County X needs help with traffic and puts the call up the pipeline, they can be assured of what they'll get - not just a pickup with 6 cones!

We opted for two levels - a main unit, and a secondary.  The secondary is designed simply for shutting down a freeway.  The main unit can handle anything.

PEMA Tier II Types 1-3 standards 

A Type 1 does everything; a Type 2 is designed to close a freeway, a Type 3 is a trailer

This has been sent to PEMA for adoption - and it was approved.  However, in 2014 it was sent to the Fire Academy because of the new NFPA standard - to make sure it would fit.  It does.   Note that each vehicle requires a certified person - PEMA says they'll rewrite this to show the minimum training needed or simply require a NFPA Certified Person.



Copyright (c) 2008-2019 by Roadway Safety Consulting